Melatonin is a hormone produced by the pineal gland of the human body and is mostly associated with maintaining the body’s sleep schedule. In other words, it triggers sleep. Hence, a healthy functioning human body produces strong level of melatonin at night which diminishes at dawn.
However, often due to conditions like anxiety, depression and gastric problems, the body doesn’t function effectively. This leads to insomnia which promotes unhealthy sleeping pattern and results in a reduction of melatonin production.
However, sometimes, there are other underlying factors too which affect melatonin production.
Let’s review them in brief
- Low thyroid hormones can also facilitate reduction of melatonin as both of them are produced in the pineal gland.
- Improper functioning of the heart can lead to an unusual cardiac rhythm which, in turn, effects melatonin production.
So, to combat insomnia related issues, doctors often prescribe melatonin supplements. Now, before discussing the benefits of using Melatonin, here are the common questions associated with consumption of these supplements and the symptoms associated.
Few vital questions regarding consumption of Melatonin supplements
Synthetic melatonin vs Natural melatonin! Which is better?
Most of you believe that “All things natural are the best,” which is true to some extent.
However, it’s not the same for melatonin. Naturally produced melatonin may contain impurities present from organic beings. Hence, using it in its natural form can induce contamination in your body, thereby, making it infected.
So, it’s advisable to use its synthetic supplements.
What is pharmacy grade melatonin?
It is synthetic melatonin. Pharmacy grade melatonin is produced by pharmaceutical grade ingredients and has a form which is molecularly similar to the melatonin produced in living organisms.
What is the ideal time to consume melatonin?
Studies conducted by researchers state that it’s the best to take these supplements 30 minutes before bedtime.
Is melatonin available in liquid form?
Yes, melatonin is available in liquid form; you can even break the capsule and add it to a glass of water to consume.
How long does Melatonin remain active in the body?
If taken in the prescribed dose, the duration of active Melatonin ranges from 10 to 15 minutes, after consumption.
Moving on, take note of the symptoms of melatonin deficiency below.
Symptoms of Melatonin deficiency
- Restless legs
- Changing sleep patterns
- Lethargy during the day
- Low immunity
- Higher susceptibility to illness like fever and flu
Further, here is how melatonin supplements can help the body.
What are the underlying benefits of consuming Melatonin supplements?
Besides aiding in insomnia, there are many other underlying benefits as follows:
- Melatonin can reduce the chances of breast and prostate cancer as research shows that the hormone suppresses tumours and inhibits the production of cancer cells.
- Women who show early symptoms of menopause can take slaappillen melatonine supplements to impede menopause symptoms. The reason is melatonin boosts mood and reduces depression which can trigger pre-menopause.
- Consuming melatonin supplements can reduce fibromyalgia symptoms. Fibromyalgia is associated with chronic pain which doesn’t originate due to a specific reason. However, studies conducted showed that using melatonin supplements can create a placebo effect. This, in turn, eliminates the pain when consumed.
- Melatonin reduces tinnitus syndrome. Tinnitus creates an annoying ringing sound in the ear which can cause anxiety. Now, melatonin consists of antioxidants which are associated with alleviating tinnitus.
- People with bladder dysfunction can use melatonin to alleviate oxidative stress. This hormone prevents the excess production of malondialdehyde which constitutes bladder dysfunction.
- Most importantly, melatonin consists of antioxidants which facilitate cell repair, thus, boosting overall immunity in the human body.
Nevertheless, it is incorrect to say that melatonin only has benefits as there are some side effects to using this hormone too. Let’s review them.
What are the consequences of using Melatonin supplements?
“Melatonin won’t kill you, but it’ll just make you miserable.”
The side-effects of using melatonin supplements are as follows-
- It will induce mood swings, and you might get irritated easily
- Occasional bouts of headaches
- Low body temperature
- Nightmares due to changing mood disposition
- Lethargy during daytime
- Increased rate of heartbeat
- Fluctuation in weight
- Melatonin might cause itching
Another important aspect: not everyone should use melatonin. Let’s see when it’s not advisable to use this hormone.
When should you not use Melatonin?
Melatonin might be beneficial to some, but it is not advisable for all. People who have diabetes shouldn’t use them as it heightens blood sugar levels. Moreover, children can suffer from diarrhea, nausea, headaches and mood swings if not taken in the prescribed dose.
Additionally, patients suffering from kidney related issues, or those under any psychiatric medication should avoid using the supplement. However, if it is necessary to use melatonin, first, consult your doctor and take a prescribed dosage.
Note: Men with lower sperm counts avoid melatonin as it facilitates the loss of sperm production.